Little that he knew

Someone knows something about my future that I don't know

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Every Ceasar has a Brutus......Mr.Ganguly you have too many

When I say this to people that I look forward to Ganguly as my role model, many ascribe it to myself being a bengali. The current episode of Ganguly controversy similar to what has happened in the lst 15 odd years, has left me puzzled. After all what is it that a man should do to prove his/her credibility.

First, when Ganguly got selected for the Australian series in 1991, there was a big hue and cry about his contacts. Even though it had come after Ganguly had scored a century in the Ranji finals which Bengal incidentaly went on to win. The series itself started host of other controversies. Ganguly had to wait for 4 years before he got his next chance. At this point of time even my young mind was sceptical about whether he would really make it or not. I was never very impressed with his off or on field demeanour.

But 1996 England tour changed it all. For the second time despite being selected for the national team for all the reasons for which a person can get selected, his lineage was ascribed to as one of the reasons of selection. I remember Patuadi and Bedi saying in TV that its politics and Ganguly is a born failure. Things turned out to be different.

Success is never easy. Ganguly's weaknesses were thoroughly studied and discussed regularly. No doubt who these people were. The same Bedi's and Patuadi's. Amazingly, they kept there mouth shut every time Ganguly performed. Every failure was related back to the same point, his weakness in facing short pitch deliveries and his political backing. For the 3rd time he was not lucky. Respect is what he did not get. But it was here that he proved his mettle. First match of 1999 world cup. Every body was sceptical about Ganguly's credentials as an opener. He proved every body wrong.

The story cannot be written in one post it needs many more. If you feel like reading what I have said, do visit my blog the next time I update you about who is this Brutus and why do I say so.

Sumanta

1 Comments:

Blogger Ashwin said...

Hey Sutta.. write more in your next post and do it fast :d

Anywayz hope u can keep writing unlike me.. I have been blogging for 2 yrs now, irregularly with 5 template changes and 30 odd discontinuous posts..

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home