Little that he knew

Someone knows something about my future that I don't know

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Paint It Yellow

Just back from watching "Rang De Basanti". Was curious to know how many movies did I watch in Indore in a Theatre. Well this is my 4th. It will surprise most others in my institute. The 1st one was "Gayab", then came "Parineeta", somewhere in between lied "Maine Ghandhi ko nahi mara".
An evolution is definately on the road ahead. Good scripts, good directors, relevant songs, lyrics supplementing the theme. I accept most of you who have spend a whole lot of time watching classics. Western, Japanese, Polish, Hungarian etc will comment on the quality of these movies. You will complain that experimentation is good but............they are slow at times, at times the movie losses its grip and many more.
But think 10 years ago this genre was a prerogatitive of a select few. Yes prerogative......people who were rebels. Directors who who accepted poor box office response, worked sans recognition. Movie lovers who stopped going to the theatre. Only these few directors motivated them to travel to the theatres.

But haven't times changed. We are definately getting bolder themes to see. I am not talking of Mallika Sherawat....thats not revolution. Thats chawanni chap. We are seeing directors with guts to move away from what called mainstream movies( read love stories). Talking about life, India, individuals. Not a HAHK. And surprisingly we are watching them. Travelling all the way to a theatres.

I am looking forward to the days to come. I feel I will get to see more surprises. Our directors need a bit more freedom. Allow them to weave their tale. If like an honest listener we keep mum and let them do their work we will find that they will come out with creation that can startle us.

To end it a few lines from Kaviguru Rabindranath Tagores

Gardner

If you would have it so,
I will end my singing.

If it sets your heart aflutter,
I will take away my eyes from your face.

If it suddenly startles you in your walk,
I will step aside and take another path.

If it confuses you in your flower-weaving,
I will shun your lonely garden.

If it makes the water wanton and wild,
I will not row my boat by your bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home